If you switched employment in 2016, you may not have received an email notification that your W-2 is available online. This may not mean that your prior employer did not send you notification, but rather that the employer does not have your correct email address.

Many companies have switched to online distribution of W-2s and quite often when you leave a company, your previous work email address on file has been inactivated.  If you believe this to be the case and you have not received your   W-2 either via email notification or postage, here is what you need to do:

  • Access your online payroll account with your previous employer. The login credentials should be the same as when you were an active employee, or you can reset them easily using your social security number or employer ID number.
  • If you can’t access your W-2 online, simply call your previous employer or its payroll provider to request a copy of your W-2 be sent to your home address.

Once you have received your W-2, gather all other documents relevant to your tax return (your accountant can guide you through this process) and begin the task of officially closing the year by filing your tax return.

Happy tax filing season!